Great Deals on Sierra Designs Tents
Over the next few months I am going to update my gear from the 80's and I am going light. I spent a good part of the day comparing tents for two but 4 pounds or under. Altrec has great deals on 3 tents but only for a couple more days until January 7, 2008. I am ordering the Sierra Designs Lightning today. The cost is $170. Here is its description:
A proven pick among fair-weather backpackers and climbers, the award-winning Sierra Designs Lightning Tent offers some of the best crossflow ventilation available for two-person tents. This is a lightweight and remarkably stable tent supported by a pair of DAC Featherlite NSL poles, a stronger and lighter support design that features the highest strength-to-weight ratio among similarly sized aluminum tent poles. DAC Featherlite NSL poles feature locking pole tips to accommodate pole stress, so there's less of a chance that you'll be patching things up on the trail. Roomy gear pockets on the inside of the Lightning make it easy for two adults to separate their gear. If you head out during the hottest months of the year or prefer going minimalist in the desert, the Sierra Designs Lightning Tent can be a breezy shelter even when it swelters.
* 2004 Editor's Choice Winner, Backpacker Magazine
* Lightweight and waterproof 40-denier nylon ripstop body fabric treated with Tent Guard with Ultra Fresh for mildew control
* Rugged and waterproof 70-denier 1800-mm. nylon taffeta floor fabric with a SuperSeal treatment
* Waterproof and lightweight vestibule material made from 40-denier HT ripstop nylon with a polyurethane/silicon treatment
* Two lightweight and durable DAC Featherlite NSL 9.0-mm. poles with locking pole tips
* Designed to accommodate two adults with room for gear (more space in vestibule)
* One stash door
* Swift clips and Clip-Locs help expedite pitching
* Reflective guy-outs and zipper poles
* Compatible with the Lightning Tent Fast Pack footprint (sold separately)
* Peak height is 40 in. with enough headroom for adults to sit up
* Interior space: 31 sq. ft. (not including the 9 sq. ft. vestibule)
* Dimensions (LxWxH): 84.5 x 53 x 40 in.
* Trail weight: 3 lb. 15 oz.
Another option that I considered, mostly because of the price was the Sierra Designs Sirius. Can you really beat a $100. Here are its features:
Sierra Designs: Sirius Tent - While the Sirius might be classified as a three-season tent, the dual doors and big mesh walls make it easier to cool and vent than other alpine three-season climbing tents. It's a great design for camping and climbing in moderate weather conditions, even if the wind kicks up. The Sirius features Sierra Designs' Quick Pitch Swivel Hub, a small metal swivel up top that locks the tent poles in place, adding as much as 60% more structural support than conventional "crossover" tent pole configurations. The Swivel Hub also simplifies pitching, so you're less likely to have your poles crossed (in a bad way)--especially if you're setting up camp in the dark. It features a two-door architecture inspired by CAD design that offers excellent cross ventilation. Besides having their own door, each of the two adult occupants also enjoy a separate vestibule for hiking boots and climbing gear. Gear pockets along the inside of the 31-square-foot interior space make it easier to sort out field guides, GPS components and other important stuff. One thing to keep in mind is that the Sirius series does feature an optional footprint (sold separately) for floor protection, but it cannot be pitched in a fly-only, fastpacking configuration. Considering that the packed weight is around four and a half pounds, most minimalists probably won't mind. If you're looking for a similar design with more vestibule space and plenty of accessories, check out the Sierra Designs Electron tent with included footprint, portable attic--and even a coffee sling!
* Rugged and lightweight 70-denier nylon taffeta fly fabric treated with a 1,500-mm. polyurethane/silicone treatment
* Lightweight 70-denier nylon ripstop body fabric
* SuperSeal floor made from 70-denier taffeta nylon treated with a 1,800-mm. finish
* Two new lightweight DAC 9.00-mm. Press Fit poles
* New Quick Pitch Swivel Hub adds up to 60% more structural support than crossover tent poles
* All fabric treated with Tent Guard with Ultra Fresh for long-lasting mildew control
* Cannot be pitched in a fly-only, fastpacking configuration
* Swift Clips and Clip-Locs facilitate pitching
* Accommodates two adults
* Two doors (one on each side with reflective zipper pulls
* Color-coded webbing for easy setup
* Exterior peak height: 53 in.
* Area: 31 sq. ft. + 4 + 4 sq. ft. dual vestibules
* Stuff sack dimensions: 6 x 23 in.
* Trail weight 4 lbs.
Check out the others at Altrec.com.