ALBERTA HIKING ASSOCIATION
The Alberta Hiking Association is primarily an umbrella organization for hiking clubs from across the province. It is a registered non-profit society and it will provide a stronger province-wide voice for hikers who have had no one to speak for them collectively in the past.
- To act as an advocate at provincial and regional levels for walking, hiking and snowshoeing
- To create an information network that facilitates sharing ideas, concerns and actions needed to promote and preserve hiking and the natural environment on which it relies
- To advance the development and maintenance of well-built hiking trails and to encourage trail-building initiatives in Alberta
- To promote responsible, minimal-impact hiking that respects the natural environment and to educate others through example
- To increase awareness about the benefits to health and local economies of walking, hiking and snowshoeing
Any not-for-profit Alberta-based organization or group for which hiking, walking or snowshoeing is a significant part of their activities, and that support the objectives, may join the Association. In individuals who have similar interests, but who do not belong to any formal hiking organization, and would like to be more involved in supporting the objectives, are also encouraged to join. For further details and membership see www.abhiking.ca